Problem with O alphabet for spell

Fri Feb 22 15:27:54 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
February 22, 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 12:30 AM, Sebolelo Nhlapo wrote:
> Hello valerie and everyone.
> Happ new year!Hope your everythings is well.I made it alphabet for
> GNAPP.But i am not clear this symbol that which is correct O
> letter.please find my attachment.
> Please give me a correct of symbol.
> Sincerely
> sebolelo

Hello Sebolelo!
Thank you for this question...and thanks for posting your question to
the SignWriting List!

It has been a long time since we have heard from you. How are things
going in South Africa? Recently, another List member wrote asking
about SignWriting in South Africa...did you see that message?

To answer your question...
Here are the two O Hands...one shows the back of the hand and the
other the side view... (see attached diagram)...

Fingerspelling is different all over the world. When you ask which one
is correct, are you asking about fingerspelling in the United States,
or fingerspelling in South Africa?

I do not know the fingerspelling in South Africa...So look at your own
hands when you are fingerspelling...Do you see the back of your hand,
or do you see the side view, when you are fingerspelling? Write what
you see...That will be correct ;-)

Regarding writing fingerspelling in the US...over the years we
established a standardized way of writing fingerspelling, that was
mostly viewing the back of the hand, because when people fingerspell
quickly, they rarely turn their hand to the side view because of the
fast speed of fingerspelling, so here in the US, we tend to write the
black symbol that represents the back of the hand, because that is
what we see...

What is GNAPP?

Thanks for your posting!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

SignWriting Literacy Project