The great "met-Deaf-wow" novel, with SignWriting.

Kimberley Shaw skifoot at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 26 17:25:08 UTC 2008

Hello Val and all the SW-listserv folks:
it has been a LONG time since I've done anything on the SignWriting
site directly ... but I am very much still in the signing world, and
still using my SignWriting. As a matter of fact, I just showed it to a
Deaf friend the other day, and it was so much fun to watch him begin
to *read* the signs very quickly after I showed him how SignWriting
works. So intuitive for us visual folks!
So, here is why I have been too busy to put words into the ASL puddle
-- I have been writing a novel.
Truly!
No, I have never done anything of the sort before, but this is what
happens when an idea comes along and begins to grow. And grow. In this
case, there is a mainstreamed girl who goes to a school which is a lot
like Hogwarts, but American. But when a hard-of-hearing person tries
to fit into an environment where spells are all spoken, things do not
go as smoothly as they ought to. Then she encounters a group of
witches and wizards who use Sign ...
And of course, I plan to write all of the Signed dialog directly in
SignWriting, and hope to find a publisher who is agreeable with this
concept! The picture attached gives a sneak peek at some dialog in
Chapter 6. For those who would like to follow the novel, a preliminary
version of it appears at fanfiction.net/~artemisiably -- but minus the
SignWriting, alas.
All the best,
Kim from Boston