name sign for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Thu Feb 28 22:04:30 UTC 2008

Hi Shane!
Yes...I realize that. We have a cultural difference...fingerspelling
is used a lot in the US...but not as much in some European countries...

I prefer name signs myself...as a hearing person I am not skilled at
reading fast fingerspelling and name signs are much easier for me, but
American Deaf culture is as it is...and there is no choice in the
matter...;-)

And there are other differences between our cultures too...of course...

I remember living in Denmark and working with some Deaf people back in
the 1980's, and at that time there were only around 4,000 or so Deaf
people in the whole country of Denmark...at least that is my
memory...somewhere between 4000 and 5000 anyway, and the entire
country of Denmark at the time was only around 5 million people...so
the signing Deaf population was a small one in comparison to the US,
which is so spread out...there was a different feeling to the Deaf
Community...there were only 4 schools in the whole country I believe
for the Deaf, and everyone knew each other...like a large family in a
way...

Here people are more mobile...and each of our 50 US states have
different schools, different funding etc...So establishing
standardized name signs around the US is like standardizing the names
of countries or cities...it would have to take writing the names in
SignWriting and writing articles using those names, for the names to
spread...at least that is what I envision! ;-))

Steve and I are working hard towards the goal of improving our symbols
and software so that we can start writing articles in Wikipedia in ASL
at the end of this year...and maybe in Great Britain and Ireland
someday too!

Do you have your NISL writers waiting for jobs yet? ;-))

Val ;-)