Teaching Science incorporating SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 10 17:52:05 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
January 10, 2007

  Cherie Wren at Georgia School for the Deaf wrote:
> btw, I haven't had time yet to look at the Cat, I have changed jobs,
> from interpreter to teacher and I now have a lot less unstructured
> time, but I am having a blast, and will start incorporating SW soon...

Hello Cherie!
This is quite exciting. Congratulations on your new teaching position
at Georgia School for the Deaf!

And incorporating SignWriting into the science classroom is quite
progressive...

Did you know that years ago Dr. Ingvild Roald, from Norway, taught
physics classes at a school for the Deaf in Norway?

...and Ingvild used SignWriting to record the name of plants species
and other science terminology, such as atoms, neutrons etc in
Norwegian Sign Language....

So SignWriting has been used as a tool in science classes before

There is an article about it on the web...

Go to:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/linguistics/

and it is the first article, called "Terminology in the Making"...

It starts here:

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/linguistics/ling036.html

and continues for many web pages, explaining how the terminology for
atoms, and neutrons etc were developed and then written in a physics
terminology dictionary and so forth...

Anyway, keep us informed as to your work...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help