Knuckle joint opens or closes ?

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Sat Jan 26 22:41:46 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
January 26, 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 6:37 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
> ......I create a story of the plane.  I wrote #1 (see file
> attachment).  I mean that the knuckle joint opens.  But, Deaf kids
> didn't agree with a Deaf teacher.  They believed that they showed
> her #2 (see file attachment) because this symbol means  "opened
> knuckle joint".  Val or everyone,  I would like to know what do you
> choose #1 or # 2?  Best regards, André

Hello Andre and Everyone!

Thank you for your question. I took a picture of your diagram and then
wrote on it myself....so please see the attached diagram....

When the point of the arrowhead points towards the fingers, it means
that the fingers CLOSE towards each other....they close and finish in
the touching position.

When the point of the arrow points away from the fingers, then it
means that the fingers open... see attached diagram: