Facial Expressions - Linguistic aspect

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Tue Jul 29 09:17:36 UTC 2008

Hello list,

I have a 'big' question about the function of facial expressions (mainly
eye-brow and head up/down expressions) in sign languages.

The linguistics of LSM (Maltese sign language) has still not been
researched thoroughly. There are of course rules in LSM governing facial
expressions, however since this has not been studied yet, I find myself
trying to do two things at the same time: translate to signwritten LSM,
and at the same time think about what rules may be governing these facial
expressions. I find myself using different eye-brow expressions for
different questions, at the introduction of new topics, during role-play
in signing, at certain clauses etc.

Could someone lead me to some more information about the grammatical
aspect of facial expressions, preferably with signwritten examples. Or
perhaps illustrate a few examples of how and when facial expressions are
used in your sign languages. LSM is different to ASL and other sign
languages, although it seems to be a little related to BSL. Besides there
are certain sign language universals, so any information would be much
appreciated.

Maria

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help