Lessons: Movement

Sun Mar 30 14:35:00 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
March 30, 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:10 AM, Carl Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to learn SignWriting, but I'm stuck on movement.
>  Can I get the differences between the movements (axial and curved
>  movements especially) and dynamics (including "tense" etc) explained
>  in more detail? I'm a little confused and at the moment, I don't know
>  how to read (or sign) them, though my knowledge of the writing is
>  getting better, I can't write because of movement! Also, if a sign
> went, say, forward an up, would I use three lines (for
>  the 'forward' plus 'up' movements)? Thanks, Carl

Hello Carl and Everyone!

Welcome to the SignWriting List, Carl, and it will be fun to answer
your questions....I can see you have lots of them!

I will answer in several messages here on the List, so look for
several message...

First...

I want to be sure that you are aware of the instruction materials that
are already on the web...

There are complete textbooks online, that you can download for
free...Have you downloaded the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, for
example?...

Go to:

SignWriting Lessons
http://www.SignWriting.org/lessons

SignWriting E-Lessons
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/

SignWriting Video Instruction
http://www.signwriting.org/video/

Complete Textbooks on SignWriting:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/

Lessons in SignWriting Textbook
by Valerie Sutton
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0116-Lessons-SignWriting.pdf

SignWriting Lessons Book
by Steve & Dianne Parkhurst
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs5/sw0493-SWLessonsBook-Parkhurst-EngLSE.pdf

Also....visit:

SignWriting Information
http://www.SignWriting.org/about/info

and

SignWriting Around the World
http://www.SignWriting.org/about/who

And if you wish to start writing your own signs, go to:

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle

Ask questions on the SignWriting List anytime!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting