High Resolution Images

Mon Mar 31 20:18:18 UTC 2008

Hi Bill -
It is interesting to know that you work with vector graphics...it is a
world I am just learning about -

What is your work with vectors?

Steve will be creating a Symbol Editor for me to try to turn our ISWA
bitmaps into SVG later...it will be fun for me to learn it ;-))

Just in general, when it comes to different typeface styles for
SignWriting symbols...

When it comes to beginning readers in any writing system...usually
simple plain symbols, without serifs and fancy swirls...are better for
beginning readers...then later, as the readers become advanced, the
beauty of other typeface designs can be appreciated and read just as
easily...

In SignWriting it is no different. A square and a circle have
different meanings in SignWriting. Beginning readers need to be able
to see a clear-cut square and a clear circle...a square that has
rounded corners could be misread as a circle...no need to confuse
people.

So I feel the SVG has to be very clear...and most readers of
SignWriting are beginners around the world, as SignWriting Literature
is not plentiful enough yet...although more Literature is being
produced daily and that will change over time...

So other typeface designs of SignWriting symbols are welcome, but our
world standard for the SVG needs to start with clean-cut symbols...

But I am impressed with Inkscape...quite an accomplishment...

Val ;-)

----------

On Mar 31, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Bill Reese wrote:

> Adam,
>
> A straight line is a curve with a radius of infinity.  ;-)
>
> Almost joking.  I work with vectors every day and have seen a
> drawing done that way.  The "look" of the drawing was as if there
> were lines and curves but it was all done with arcs.  Theoretically,
> as long as the visual impact is the same, does it matter?  After
> all, the world isn't flat but try telling that to someone who wants
> something "perfectly flat."  Essentially (and simplistically),
> they're saying they want something that approximates the curvature
> of the earth so that nothing will roll on it.
>
> Bill
>

> Adam Frost wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I agree. Which is why I had a hard time trying to create SVG
>> with SignWriting. Inkscape has no idea which lines are supposed to
>> be curved and which are supposed to be straight when doing batching.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> On Mar 31, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> SignWriting List
>>> March 31, 2008
>>>
>>> Wow. I didn't realize that Inkscape was how Machado did the SVG of
>>> the IMWA 2004...I thought the software was specifically developed
>>> just for the SignWriting symbols to become SVG...so this is good
>>> news...thanks for informing us!
>>>
>>> Val ;-)
>>>
>>> PS. Yesterday I finished the final ID numbers of the ISWA 2008!
>>>
>>> Now I am cleaning some of the bitmapped graphics, to make the
>>> bitmaps look prettier, while Steve is finishing his new
>>> software....and then we will be testing the ISWA with the new
>>> software...Then we are planning an SVG version of the ISWA
>>> too...so in time, the SVG version of the ISWA will become the norm
>>> is my guess...
>>>
>>> But one point about the SVG that Steve and I hope to produce of
>>> the ISWA...I am hoping that the squares will be sharp-lined
>>> squares, with clean lines, rather than the tracing effect that the
>>> Inkscape created...then, once our very perfect SVG version is
>>> created, of course others can create different typestyle effects,
>>> such as the Inkscape style...but our original SVG of the ISWA
>>> needs to really look like the original bitmaps except without the
>>> zagged lines...
>>>
>>> -----------

>>> Change Email Settings
>>> http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/mailman/listinfo/sw-l

>> Change Email Settings
>> http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/mailman/listinfo/sw-l

> Change Email Settings

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting