Announcing: the SignWriting Image Server beta

Fri May 2 21:34:08 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 2, 2008

Hello Gerard!

THANK YOU for this excellent blog...

Beta Release of the SignWriting Image Server
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2008/05/beta-release-of-signwriting-image.html

We really appreciate your support for our SignWriting projects,
Gerard. How very fortunate we are that you write blogs about
SignWriting and tell others about it too...

There are exciting times ahead....smile...

On May 2, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> I have been blogging in the past about SignWriting and I am sure I
> will do so in the future. Today I blogged as well. Thanks Steve and
> Valerie for doing a superb job.
> Thanks,
>       Gerard
>
> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2008/05/beta-release-of-signwriting-image.html

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Steve Slevinski
> <slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm happy to announce the beta version of the SignWriting Image
> Server:
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis
>
> This is an open source project for web servers that creates
> SignWriting images.  The code in licensed under the GPL v3.  The
> SignWriting font for the ISWA 2008 is licensed under the Open Font
> License.  The main SWIS document is licensed under Creative Commons
> (by-sa).
>
> The SignWriting Image Server does not create the content for web
> pages; it displays the content that has already been created.  Once
> I update SignPuddle for the ISWA 2008, it will use SWIS and be able
> to generate SWIS ready content.  After that, I'll be working on the
> open source SignText plug-in that will also use SWIS.
>
> You can download the project.  It requires a web server with PHP and
> the GD graphics library.  The download is 11 MB and contains over 33
> thousand files.
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis.zip
>
> I'm expecting to have the Release Candidate 1 ready by the end of
> the month.  I should have the ISWA version of SignPuddle ready to
> test by that time.  Val and I have been working on a conversion
> routine from the IMWA to the ISWA that is currently 99.9% accurate.
>
> I'm excited for the open standards.  We will have a MediaWiki plugin
> sometime this summer.  What fun!
>
> Regard,
> -Steve

> Change Email Settings

> Change Email Settings

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting