BRAZIL question about sign for OITO

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 3 23:14:39 UTC 2008

Yes, I believe the person in the accessolibras dictionary is in Rio de Janeiro, a different accent.

I know of at least five different regional accents in Libras, so it is important to distinguish them.

The "1" for instance, in Porto Alegre is the index finger, in Sao Paulo it is a "10" hand, so the LIBRAS Puddle will have to reflect regionalisms as well.

Quite a challenge.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
May 3, 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> Query on proper way to write a sign.
>
> The sign is "oito", the letter 8 in Brasilian Sign Language.
>
> The video is at http://www.acessobrasil.org.br/libras/
>
> I wrote it as an "E" + "S" in the SignPuddle.
>
> My recollection of this sign is an "S" with a wrist twist rather
> than E to an S.
>
> Charles

Hello Charles - Thanks for this question.

Take a look at the old Brazilian Fingerspelling Keyboard for
SignWriter DOS. Find the "Number 8" key on the keyboard. That is how

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help