Spammers created concern but all is ok, thank goodness!

Wed May 7 16:06:59 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 7, 2008

Hello Shane and Eyasu!

You are sooo smart, Shane...I was not sure at first, but then later I
figured it out...what a shame that this happens on the internet...I
wish we could catch the people who do it -

Anyway, all is well thank goodness -

Changing the subject, smile, soon we will be able to write with the
Ethiopian Handshapes of the ISWA 2008, so maybe someday we can have
Ethiopian Sign Language storybooks for Deaf children ;-))

Val ;-)

--------

On May 7, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Shane Mwangi wrote:

> Val,
>
> when I got that from his email account, I knew that it was someone who
> might have hacked his email account because it is NOT like him.
>
> It is very nasty when your account gets hacked :-(
>
> Shane Mwangi
>
> 2008/5/7 Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>:
>> SignWriting List
>> May 7, 2008
>>
>> Dear SW Listers...
>>
>> I am posting this message for Eyasu Tamene Hailu, from Ethiopia,
>> because
>> last night I received an urgent message that appeared to be
>> directly from
>> Eyasu, asking for help, but I realized that it might be spam, but I
>> wasn't
>> sure...
>>
>> So I wrote to some of Eyasu's friends to ask if all was ok...and
>> today
>> Eyasu, who is fine, found soooo many messages asking if he is ok?!
>> So at
>> least we all know that Eyasu has many friends who care about him...
>>
>> This particular email, which is posted below, is from the real Eyasu,
>> explaining about the spammers who stole his address and made all
>> his friends
>> worry about him...
>>
>> I wonder...do any of you know about internet policing? This was
>> close to be
>> a criminal act. I believe, having researched it a little, that it
>> really
>> came from Nigeria and they somehow stole Eyasu's email address on
>> Yahoo...
>>
>> Who could we contact to report such a crime?
>>
>> Any information will be welcome -  Val ;-)
>>
>> -----------
>>

>> Real message from Eyasu this morning:
>>

>> From: "Eyasu Tamene" <tusaye11 at gmail.com>
>> Date: May 7, 2008 8:00:26 AM PDT
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have found a spam message in my and all my distinguished
>> contacts' box
>> which has the following message:
>>

>> I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled to
>> Nigeria
>> for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money was stolen
>> at the
>> hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I dont know what
>> to do or
>> where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I have access to only
>> emails,
>> Please can you send me $3000 dollars today so I can return home, As
>> soon as
>> I get home I would refund it immediately.Write me so I can let you
>> know how
>> to send it. Keep this to your self only please!!. Thanks
>>

>> Warm Regards,
>> Eyasu
>>

>> Well, I tried to inform some of my contacts earlier. But this is
>> completely
>> a SPAM message and I was not using the email in that address. I am
>> in Addis
> [...]

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting