SignWriting - Non-Manual -few questions

Thu May 8 22:48:27 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 8, 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 3:22 PM, aia07r wrote:
> Dear Mrs. Sutton, Thank you for taking the time to read my email. As
> you know, some notation systems did not develop a non-manual
> component (such as head movement, eyes, shoulders, etc.). I have a
> few questions about Sutton SignWriting that I hope you can answer.
> How many articulating parts does Sutton include, and what are they?
> Also, does Sutton consider most of the possible movement for each
> part?  Thank you for your help and for taking the time to answer my
> questions. Best regards, abdulaziz Almohimeed

Hello Abdulaziz Almohimeed!

Welcome to the SignWriting List. And thank you for your questions...It
may take several questions and answers, since this is such a big
subject, so keep asking all you need to know, here on the SignWriting
List...

SignWriting is the only notation system for signed languages designed
to be a daily writing system for all signed languages, making it
possible to write and publish Sign Language Literature, writing the
facial expressions, head movement, eyegaze, shoulders, hips, chest and
even mime and gesture...SignWriting can write it all, and can be as
detailed or as simplified as the writer chooses...It can be written by
hand or documents can be created by computer in SignPuddle Online:

SignPuddle Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

In fact, if we have to write slapping the foot, in a South Pacific
Sign Language, that can be written too... That is because SignWriting
originally stemmed from Sutton Movement Writing, a general movement
notation system:

Sutton Movement Writing
http://www.MovementWriting.org

As signers wrote their signed languages, SignWriting evolved into what
it is today...

There is written Sign Language Literature Online...take a look atL

Cat in the Hat
http://www.SignWriting.org/library/children

Regarding Facial Expressions...

Why don't we start here:

1. Go to:

Lessons in SignWriting Textbook on the web:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/lessonsweb.html

and click on...

Chapter 10: Facial Expressions

It goes for pages and pages of Facial Expressions, which includes
Eyegaze. Here are the Eyegaze symbols, for example: