SignPuddle questions

Tue May 13 00:58:19 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 12, 2008

MARIA AZZOPARDI from Malta wrote:
> 3. There are fingerspelling handshapes in LSM which are slightly
> different
> to ASL ones, can we keep a store of all LSM fingerspelling
> handshapes in
> our Sign Puddle (both the Public and Private one)?
>
> 4. In the Private WebPuddle, could we have a dictionary where we could
> store all individual signs. Then when using SignText we could simply
> export saved signs in the WebPuddle dictionary into the WebPUddle
> SignText
> pieces?

Hello Maria ;-)

You are most welcome to save the LSM fingerspelling in both public and
private puddles...of course...those will be very useful for anyone
using either puddle...

The Puddles are here for you to use as you need, so don't feel
restricted ...

And to answer your fourth question above is a little complex...

Let me give you some ideas...

In the private ASL Bible Puddle, they added all the individual Bible
signs they needed as individual signs, and they also added all 21
chapters of the Gospel According to John...so their private ASL Bible
Puddle includes both individual signs and real documents...So you are
welcome to do that too...

The reason we created some puddles as dictionaries and some as
literature, is because it seemed useful to have different kinds of
puddles, but technically it is the same software, so you can blend a
dictionary with SignText documents...

As far as transferring signs and documents from one puddle to
another.....right now we can copy one sign at a time from puddle to
puddle, and we have a fast way to export individual signs into
SignBank...we do not yet have a feature to do bulk transfers of many
signs at one time between puddles, but if you have a request, Steve or
I can, behind the scenes, transfer large amounts of signs from one
puddle to another for you...

And the Translate Feature makes it possible to find most of the signs
needed to create sentences, and it then loads the signs into SignText
for you to complete the sentence and save it in your puddle...

Perhaps there are other features you need, but I am not sure what you
are describing above in number 4...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help