Sign Spelling Syllables question

Thu May 15 14:25:24 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 15, 2008

Hasna Hocini wrote:
> 1- If I ask two signers to sign the word "Interesting". Will they do
> it the same way?
> What are the differences they will introduce ?

Hello Hasna and everyone -

Your work with translation from signwritten signs, into spoken
language, is a big job but a fascinating subject...thank you for
sharing your project with us ;-)

1. There are several signs for the concept of INTERESTING, in American
Sign Language...Just like in other spoken languages, there are
oftentimes several words you could use for one concept...

Here are three writings of the sign for INTERESTING in the ASL
SignPuddle Dictionary, to give you an example....and there may be more
variations and signs that could be equivalent as well...

The important thing to realize is that this has nothing to do with
syllables. I cannot see how syllables have anything to do with
translation, since the "whole word" or "whole sign" carries the
meanings...the syllables do not have meanings... In this attached
diagram, you can see the SignSpellings to the right of the signs (the
tiny grey symbols in little boxes)...those are only for sorting the
dictionary by symbols and not the way we actually write the
signs...The fact that the SignSpellings can be divided into syllables
is not important for sorting dictionaries...

Looking at the three attached signs...

1. two-handed sign
2. same sign as 1, but one-handed
3. different sign that can also mean fascinating