ASL Dictionary & the Translate feature

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 17 01:55:53 UTC 2008

For a story, for myself, I'd try to get the best possible example of a sign from that signer.  You wouldn't publish a movie without out-takes, consider it a movie that has been perfected.

Charles

MARIA AZZOPARDI <maria.azzopardi at um.edu.mt> wrote: Hi K.J Boal,

Just to say well done for all the hard work you are putting into this. I
don't know ASL (from Europe here) however I know SignWriting so I could
read your texts. With the help of translations I could pick up a few ASL
signs :)

I happened to carry out a similar task for work on my two thesis, i.e
transcibing a signer signing a story. At the time I didn't use SignPuddle,
because I don't think it was available. I've just started using it now for
our Bible project.

One question, are you transcribing phonetically? I.e. if your signer signs
slips, hestitates or uses gestures, do you include these in your
transciptions, or do you filter such things? I had included everything,
mainly because it was a linguistic study so I wanted as much detail as
possible. However if yours is for book form then perhaps you do things a
little differently?

thanks,
Maria