Snow White questions

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 20 00:09:49 UTC 2008

> CC: kjoanne403 at hotmail.com
> From: sutton at signwriting.org
> To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> Subject: Re: [sw-l] Snow White questions
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 07:49:51 -0700
>
> SignWriting List
> May 19, 2008
>
> > Kelly Jo wrote:
> > I have some questions about some of the signs on this page. In this
> > scene, Snow White runs through the forest, and then collapses (or
> > trips and falls) and rests her head on her hands as she's lying on
> > the ground crying. What would be the best way to write the head
> > resting on the hands? My second question is about the final sign,
> > SQUIRREL. I need the palms together in such a way that the bent
> > index and middle fingers touch fingertips. If the hands were
> > oriented so that the palms were sideways to the body, that wouldn't
> > be a problem; but I need the left hand palm-up and the right hand
> > palm-down. The sign as you see it is the best I felt I could do, but
> > the fingertips really don't look right. Does anyone else have a
> > better suggestion?
>

> Hello Kelly Jo and everyone!
> Thank you for posting the Snow White page...wow...you are doing quite
> a document there! It is exciting to read...
>
> Before we can even start discussing these issues, I obviously need to
> post the video of SNOW WHITE, so we can all look at the video on the
> web, to see the signs you are trying to write...So let me try to post
> this today, and when it is on the web, I will announce it to the
> SignWriting List...so we can all take a look...
>
> Until it is posted, keep on writing, Kelly Jo...we can always go back
> to answer these questions later ;-)
>
> Val ;-)

Thank you so much, Val!  This is actually the longest page I've written . . . some are as short as 6 signs, others are as long as 25.  I do hope you'll be able to get the video up soon, and thank you to everyone else for your responses and suggestions.

Don't worry, I'm not planning to stop writing!  There are actually a few other signs - I can't remember which ones now or on which pages but I can go back through and look - on which I haven't been sure about my writing, but I've kept going under the assumption that we'll be going back through and cleaning those up if they're wrong.  I figure SQUIRREL will be one of those - and there's also the "head resting on the hands" question.  Anyway, I certainly plan to keep going! ;-)

Thank you again to everyone who's responded,
KJ