[sw-l] Sign Spelling Syllables question

Hasna Hocini h_hocini at YAHOO.FR
Tue May 20 14:44:29 UTC 2008

Hi Jonathan,
I though that the proximity is the information that associates the hand with the arrows? No?
Regards,
Hasna

Jonathan <duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca> a écrit :        Hi Hasna,
     No, what I mean is that the reader interprets which arrows moves which hand symbol.  But if both people read the signwriting correctly, they should produce the same sign and understand the same thing.
     On the other hand there isn´t any information in the sign data that associates de hand with the arrows.

 Jonathan

 Hasna Hocini wrote: Hi Jonathan,
 Thank you for your messages.
 So, two readers of the same sign can understand two different things...
 Is it what you want to say?
 Regards,
 Hasna

   Jonathan <duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca> a écrit :         Hi Stuart,
     I agree with you here too.  The interpretation of the meaning and the interaction of the symbols in the SignWriting are fully up to the reader to interpret. The way the signwriting is currently saved, a computer would have a REALLY hard time guessing which symbols go together.  e.i.  Which symbol goes with which arrow as this information isn't yet part of the information that is being inputed or stored with the sign.

 Jonathan

 Stuart Thiessen wrote:
On the contrary, SW most likely can be reduced to a linear representation. But that representation would not be human readable, or at least not easily human readable.

Admittedly, the challenge is that there are relationships being expressed in the 2D arrangements that would need some kind of explicit notation in a linear string. The build string that Steve uses is one type of linear representation of SW.

But I don't think it is possible to "code as a cluster" without the computer understanding the components. The computer needs a better intelligence behind its interpretation of component symbols so that it can gather relevant linguistic data from facial expressions, use of space, etc.

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart Thiessen
Voice: 800-919-8853