Parentheses symbols in SignWriting

Sun May 25 17:42:25 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 25, 2008

Hello Kelly Jo, Adam and Everyone!

Behind the scenes, Adam has been giving feedback to Kelly Jo, who is
transcribing the story of Snow White in ASL from a videotape of
Darline Gunsauls. You can view it in the ASL Literature puddle:

ASL Literature Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=5

(We do not have the video up yet...)

I noticed the Parentheses Symbols used in one sentence (see attached
diagram)...

The Parentheses Symbols in SignWriting are double-lined curves, that
are placed before and after a phrase that is an afterthought, or an
added thought, just like parentheses are used in English. However,
since we write down in vertical columns, the curve curves up for the
beginning parentheses symbol, and the curve curves down for the ending
parentheses symbol, showing that the two parentheses symbols
"encapsulate" or "encompass" the written phrase...

I have marked what I mean in blue in the attached diagram...the last
parentheses symbol needs to be curving down, Kelly Jo...

Many thanks for this document. You are doing an excellent job!  Val ;-)