Deaf school (Denmark)

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 25 18:59:40 UTC 2008

Could you manange to have it scanned and sent to me? (As you know, we read Danish as well as Norwegian ...)
Sounds very interesting to have even more research / serious reports on SignWriting to support the use in schools

Ingvild

From: sutton at signwriting.org
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Deaf school (Denmark)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:13:39 -0700

SignWriting ListMay 21, 2008
Andre from French-Canada wrote:Hi Val and everyone,I am curious if you have a 80 pages published report (English) from Denmark (Research Project at the Deaf school,"Instruction in SignWriting/Sign Language", 1985).Kind regards,André
Hello Andre!I am sorry to tell you I only have the book in Danish, and although I could easily translate it myself into English, and so could several other friends of mine, the translation never got done...so it is still only in Danish...but I agree it would be great to have an English version and in time I will try to get the whole Danish book scanned in so we can do the translation quickly...
See below for the description of the Danish publication...

Research Project At The Deaf SchoolAt Randersgade, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1985"Instruction In SignWriting/Sign Language"
Forsogsprojekt Paa DoveskolenI Randersgade Kobenhavn, Danmark, 1985"Undervisning I Tegnskrift/Tegnsprog"
AUTHORS:Ivan Bentzen, Dietgard Glebke, Inger Kjaer, Bente Sparrevohn
Published by:Copenhagen's School System Research DepartmentKobenhavns kommunale Skolevaesen ForsogsafdelingenISBN: 87-7346-145-8

    This is an 80-page published report from Denmark. SignWriting was taught to Deaf children in the Danish School System in the 1980's. This report summarizes the results and is quite detailed.
    The report is written in Danish and Danish Sign Language. The teachers state their objectives, discuss the children, show examples of their work, and then summarize with the results and opinions from the participants. There are also specific examples of how they taught SignWriting, what was hard, what was easy, and so forth.
    I will be happy to translate the Danish into English, and publish the report on our SignWriting Web Site, but first I will write to the publishers and authors for permission. So hopefully that will happen in the future!
    For further information, write to me :-)
    Valerie Sutton    DAC at SignWriting.org