Sign Puddle 2.0 suggestion

Mon May 26 14:50:10 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 26, 2008

Hello Maria -
I can give you one quick suggestion...

Re-writing the signs is the best for you. The Translate Feature needs
signs that have been written in SignPuddle. It cannot search for a jpg.

But if you want to add a jpg....

You could add each jpg individually as an "illustration". Jpgs are
like illustrations. They are not the same as the signs that are
written in SignPuddle from the beginning. Jpgs cannot give you SWML.
They are considered pictures by the computer, rather than "text"...so
it is best that you write everything again in SignPuddle, but if you
need to place the jpgs in SignPuddle as illustrations, you can do
that....

1. Login to your private puddle
2. Create a new sign by clicking on SignMaker, and you don't have to
write a new sign...just click on the Add to SignPuddle button. Give
the blank sign a name.
3. This gives you a blank new sign.
4. Click on the Upload File Button (it is one of the buttons on the
right of the screen)
5. Browse your computer to find the jpg you want to upload.
6. Once you have found the path to the illustration (your jpg) you
want to insert, push the Upload Button near the path again.
7. Your jpg will appear as an illustration...

There is Video Instruction that shows how to add an illustration:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/help/SignPuddle15VideoUS/SignPuddle15_Video18.html

Here is an example pasting a graphic sign, as an illustration:

On May 26, 2008, at 2:41 AM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> First of all well done for all the work you have and continue to put
> into
> SignPuddle. It's already a great tool for SignWriters. I'm still very
> green at using Puddle, however from the little that I have inputted
> could
> I suggest something..
>
> We have lots of signwriting files saved as JPGs (lots of saved
> dictionary
> work). We are thinking of a way to transfer all this work to the
> Puddle.
> However, it seems as though I can't just copy and paste these into the
> Puddle.
>
> My technical knowledge of how things work behind the scenes is close
> nothing, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually suggesting
> something
> that is 'technically' impossible :) Still I thought I'd might as
> well ask
> just the same :)
>
> Thanks,
> Maria
>

>> Sign Puddle 2.0 suggestion.
>>
>> Fit the whole Sign Puddle palate on one screen so that you don't
>> have to
>> scroll so often.
>>
>> Key-board shortcut keys.
>> (once the user knows the keys it will be much quicker.) (Maybe make
>> our
>> own macros)

>> Change Email Settings
>> http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/mailman/listinfo/sw-l

> Change Email Settings

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting