how to write big waves

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 9 21:43:12 UTC 2008

Check Waves big on the SignPuddle ASL dictionary.  I'm glad that "simple" is better.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> wrote: SignWriting List
November 9, 2008

Charles Butler wrote:
> I would have used that big graph, but I thought that the hands
> switched orientation in the process.  If the hands move up and then
> down and the change palm facing line isn't there, I thought I'd have
> to use the figure I sent.
>
> Am I being too careful in my writing?

Hi Charles!
For some reason the SW List software has not delivered your diagram to
the List, so I have not seen your writing. Can you send it again to
the List?

That happens sometimes, when many people are trying to post a lot of
diagrams to the list...the software gets confused and doesn't post all
of them...

So I look forward to seeing your writing...

Meanwhile, I believe you are asking why I didn't write more palm
facing changes in the waves movement? If you are writing for research,
you could write more detail...but writing for everyday use, I think
the one handshape is enough to get the point across, that the five
hand is waving along with the movement...no need to write every palm
facing change in this case...the simplest writing possible, that is
understandable, should be the choice I think...

I think most signers would assume that the hand is doing a wave as
well...at least I would...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help