a few things...and Obama logo O plus rainbow

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 11 00:22:26 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
November 10, 2008

> On Nov 10, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
>> I completely understand, and it makes sense to me as well. Most
>> Deaf in the US can't get involved with politics even if they wanted
>> to because there is no news station that is given in any form of
>> SL. In fact, most of the captioning on news stations are horrible.
>> Newspapers have been the way for Deaf people to get information for
>> a long time, but those are dying out. Now the main place to get
>> news in on the internet, but there are a lot of people who do not
>> know how to use the internet, then the is the question of where to
>> go to a trusted source, and lastly is the frustration that all of
>> the news sites all too often use videos from the TV stations......

We could have an ongoing "newsletter through email" to those who
subscribe, written in ASL and English. We could have different topics,
related to the daily news and other important topics that Deaf people
might be isolated from...

There will be very few readers in the beginning, but in time the
readership might build, and maybe it would provide more information to
the Deaf Community. It could arrive on your blackberry or
handhelds...We could also post these articles in the new SignWriting
WikiMedia Plugin on the web, which can lead to a real Wikipedia later...

Would anyone be interested in helping with this? The problem is that I
am quite overbooked and at the moment we have no funding for this...so
it really needs funding...but imagine if we could get funding to write
this ASL newsletter on the topics of the day...

That would be a great project for all of us - and inform the Deaf
Community...it is a shame they are cut off so badly from daily news...

By the way, the logo for the Obama campaign is an O with a
rainbow...it is a lovely logo...and that is why some of those name
signs were an O hand and then the number 4 in a curve for the
rainbow...it was "O with a rainbow" to match his logo...

So that logo might influence the sign for him in time...

Here it is: