Sign Bible: Expertise

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Tue Nov 18 18:17:20 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Wow I can't believe how much information has suddenly come in. I'm so
grateful for all of this. I thank you all so very much.

Here on this tiny island, we have started a very small project:
Translating the Bible Christmas stories for the Deaf community. I would be
willing to take this on as a life-time commitment if given the chance :) I
love the work. I work hand in hand with a biblical scholar and am checking
constantly with the Deaf to see their response and get direct comments and
suggestions from them. The first draft is actually ready. I have another
pressing deadline, but as soon as I'm given the chance, I will check it
all again for spelling mistakes - re-check a final time with the Deaf+
bible expert - and then I will tell Valerie to make it available to all
who would like to view it.

I'm just about to start a PhD, and obviously want to do no other area but
this! The Bible and Sign Language! I'm still very much in the
thinking-stage..haven't yet managed to focus in. That's why I need any bit
of information available, so that I can read, read, read more and more,
and hopefully ideas will come.

I thank you once again for all the info you have sent me.

Wish you all a pleasant morning/mid-day/evening/night - depending on where
you are all standing on this globe :)

Maria

 Another Bible Translation resource is D.O.O.R. International
> (www.doorinternational.com
> ). I recently joined DOOR to be a part of their translation work. In
> our translation projects, we work with national Deaf teams. We train
> them on how to translate the text, they work on the translation, and
> we work with them to refine it.  Several of our staff including me (4
> Deaf and 3 hearing - all hearing are fluent in at least one SL) are
> being trained as translation consultants so that we have the training
> to review Bible translations and provide feedback in what's called an
> exegetical check. The exegetical check checks whether or not the
> translation is an accurate reflection of the biblical text. We also
> assist in community checks from time to time. A community check is a
> process where you see if the translation is understood by other people
> in the community. These two checks are part of the process to make
> sure you have a translation that is CANA (Clear, Accurate, Natural,
> and Acceptable). Besides DOOR's work, I also have personal contacts
> with 4 other Bible translation projects and I have friends involved in
> several other organizations who work with Bible translation.
>
> If I can help with questions, feel free to email me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart
>
> On Nov 18, 2008, at 10:31 , MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
>
>> Thank you Tim, as well!
>> Every link helps. In fact I've made friends with a BSL interpreter
>> who is
>> staying here in Malta and she directed me to this site. It's
>> wonderful and
>> the project looks really organised. Do they intend to SignWrite a
>> little
>> too? Are you involved in this? LSM is very similar to BSL.
>>
>> thanks again,
>> Maria
>>

>>> There is also a project over here in the UK to translate the Bible
>>> for
>>> BSL. You might be interested in looking at their website: