Mouth Patterns

Maria Galea maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Mon Nov 24 09:57:00 UTC 2008

Thank you so much for your help Stefan.
I will edit my signwriting text accordingly.

Yes, Stefan it would be good if the mouth-patterns used by all sign
languages are standardized in SignWriting -

/You said:/
/Of course there are some dificulties and differences and I am aware of
the fact that we are far away to to able to discriminate accurately
several mouhpatterns that are associated with typical sounds of speech .../

...but I think when mouth patterns are used in sign languages, the
finicky details of different speech sounds are not important. All that
is needed is a short list of mouth-patterns that can be clearly
seen/read by users of sign language. The list you sent me could be used
as standard international symbols for these mouth patterns used in sign
languages. What you call Mundbilder can be standardised internationally,
no?

(nb: Here I'm not talking about signing+talking at the same time -
that's a different story - i guess what you would need there is what you
call Mundbildschrift, right?)

Thanks again,
Maria

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu