The SignWriter Studio software

Jonathan y Yolaine joyoduncan at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 25 00:47:20 UTC 2008

Hi all,
    I want to let you know how my SignWriting software is coming along.
All the following is tentative and may change before the it's release.
All of your comments are welcome and appreciated.
    The name of the software is The SignWriter Studio.  It's a
continuation of a program I wrote a few years ago called that was for
grouping and printing lists of signs and pictures of what they were.  It
was for my personal use to teach my deaf students, many of whom didn't
know any formal sign language, and also to help other expand their sign
vocabulary.

    However that program had one big shortcoming. I couldn't find all
the vocabulary I needed to teach my students. By then I had started to
learn SignWriting I wrote some signs in SignText and added them as
pictures to lists of signs.  But I decided that it would be best write
another program and include the features of this along with SignWriting.
    Basically "The SignWriter Studio" is a multilanguaged glossed
dictionary.  The Dictionary can hold SignWriting like the SignPuddle but
also pictures along with the signs.  Any one sign can be glosses in any
number of languages and you can work with up to to glossing languages at
a time.  The Signs can be searched by gloss or by symbol search. It has
it's own intuitive Sign Editor complete with favorite symbol list, hand
symbol search, keyboard or entry for pretty much everything.  The
software also has a Document section where you can include signs from
the dictionary of pictures, or even create new signs.  A GlosstoSign
form is being developed to gloss out a document.  It also has it´s own
Image Editor for basic image editing. It can export and import both SBML
and SignText URLs.   The SignList is for grouping signs and printing
them out to practice them.  Also I am planning a SWQuiz as a game to
practice sign vocabulary.

    I also loved the idea of writing a program that could change from
expressive to receptive and vice-versa. Also be able to animate the
signs and someday interface with an Avatar. But the only way of doing
this right was to write everything from the ground up. I also wanted to
write a program that would make SignWriting even easier for the beginner
and faster for the experienced user than it already is .

    So I started writing a prototype program to get the ideas of how I
was going do this monumental task of writing a SignWriting editor.
Recently I started pulling all of the pieces together to create "The
SignWriter Studio". I plan on publishing a BETA version as soon is it is
ready so that you can all have a look at it. Meanwhile, any and all
suggestions are welcome either on the SignWriting List(sw-l) or directly
to me at duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca

Intended Features

*Main Feature* 	*Feature* 	*Status*
*GlosstoSign*

*
* 	Gloss to Sign 	Needs Work
*
* 	Phrase to Sign 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Pass to Document 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Insert Gloss 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Change Gloss 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*ImageEditor*

*
* 	Crop 	Working
*
* 	Convert to Black and White 	Working
*
* 	Open/Save Image File 	Needs Work
*
* 	Eraser 	Working
*
* 	Resize 	Needs Work
*
* 	Contrast 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Brightness 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Undo/Redo 	Working
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*Import Export*

*
* 	Import SBML 	Working
*
* 	Export SBML 	Working
*
* 	Import SignText URL 	Working
*
* 	Export SignText URL 	Working
*
* 	Import TheSignWriterStudio 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Export ThSignWriterStudio 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Choose Gloss Language 	Working
*
* 	Choose Dictionary Sign Language 	Working
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*Options*

*
* 	Choose User Interface Language 	Working
*
* 	Choose User Interface Sign Language 	Working
*
* 	Choose First Gloss Language 	Working
*
* 	Choose Second Gloss Language 	Working
*
* 	Choose Dictionary Sign Language 	Working
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SignList*

*
* 	Add/Rename/Choose/Delete SignList 	Needs Work
*
* 	Add/Rename/Choose/Order/Delete SignList Sub Titles 	Working
*
* 	Add/Choose/Delete SignList Sub Title Signs from Dictionary 	Working
*
* 	Display Sign 	Working
*
* 	Mark Signs not in any previous Sub Title 	Working
*
* 	Print List 	Needs Work
*
* 	Print Preview 	Needs Work
*
* 	Export to Image File for Slide Show 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWDictionary*

*
* 	Search Bilingual Gloss 	Working
*
* 	Search Unilingual Gloss 	Working
*
* 	Add New Sign 	Working
*
* 	Duplicate Sign 	Working
*
* 	Edit SignWriting in SWEditor 	Working
*
* 	Edit Image in ImageEditor 	Working
*
* 	Import 	Working
*
* 	Export 	Working
*
* 	Copy/Paste SignWriting 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Copy/Paste Picture of Sign 	Copy implemented
*
* 	Copy/Paste Photo 	Copy implemented
*
* 	Sign Definition 	In Future version
*
* 	Sign Example 	In Future version
*
* 	Sign Parts-of-Speech 	In Future version
*
* 	Sign Mnemonic 	In Future version
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWDocument*

*
* 	Add/Edit SignWriting in SWEditor 	Working
*
* 	Add Sign from Dictionary 	Working
*
* 	Add/Edit Image in ImageEditor 	Working
*
* 	Add Image from File 	Working
*
* 	Remove Sign/Image 	Working
*
* 	Move Sign/Image 	Working
*
* 	Switch Sign Lanes 	Working
*
* 	Edit Gloss 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Save Sign back to Dictionary 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Symbol and Sign Gloss tool tip 	Working
*
* 	Save/Load Document 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Import 	Working
*
* 	Export 	Working
*
* 	Print 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Print Preview 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWEditor*

*
* 	Add/Remove/Choose Favorite Symbol 	Working
*
* 	Listing of all Symbol Groups 	Needs Work
*
* 	Hand Shape Search 	Working
*
* 	Add/Remove/Order Sequence 	Working
*
* 	Hand Shape Rotation/Fill Chooser 	Working
*
* 	Symbol Chooser 	Working
*
* 	Symbol Drag and Drop 	Working
*
* 	Multiple Symbol Selection 	Working
*
* 	Move Symbol Above/Below 	Working
*
* 	Duplicate Symbols 	Working
*
* 	Change Symbol size 	Working
*
* 	Change Symbol Color 	Working
*
* 	Change Background Color 	Working
*
* 	Copy Image of Sign 	Working
*
* 	Copy/Paste SignWriting 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Add/Change Frames 	Working
*
* 	Undo/Redo 	Working
*
* 	Mouseless Writing 	Working
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Working
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWSearch*

*
* 	Exact Match 	Working
*
* 	Group Match 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Fill Match 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Rotation Match 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Any Match 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Synonym Symbol in other plane 	Working
*
* 	Sign Similarity 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Working
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWQuizes*

*
* 	Multiple Choice SignWriting 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Multiple Choice Gloss 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Keyboard Shortcuts 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Help 	Not yet implemented
*
* 	Globalized 	Not yet implemented
*SWAnimation*

*
* 	SignWriting to Animation Files 	In Future version
*
* 	Help 	In Future version
*
* 	Globalized 	In Future version
*SWAvatar*

*
* 	SignWriting to Avatar script 	In Future version
*
* 	Help 	In Future version
*
* 	Globalized 	In Future version
*SWReceptive* 	Expresive to Receptive 	In Future version

Operating systems

Win98, XP, Vista.

Requires .Net framework 2.0 or higher.

Possible future version for Linux.