AW: [sw-l] ISWA 2008 Final & the PersonalPuddle

Wed Oct 22 18:23:58 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
October 22, 2008

Hello Stefan!

THANK YOU for this really wonderful message!

Your support and positive, creative ideas have meant much all these
years, so you are very much a part of the overall accomplishment...

So all of you, here on the List, who have asked to discuss writing
signs, and who use our software, can say that the accomplishment is
really "OURS"....as a team ;-))

Think of all the important discussions we have had on the SignWriting
List since 1996! Every message had influence, helping us realize what
needed to be done ...it has taken a long time but well worth the
effort....

And there are new developments I haven't shared with you yet too!

Plus there are new projects starting to teach the ISWA 2008 properly.
I will be updating the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, making a Third
Edition, and then there are new instruction tools being developed,
like the animated gifs by Adam Frost and so forth...and in time I want
to share with all of you new symbols in the ISWA...I hope you like
them...;-))

My message continues below, between your paragraphs...

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> Hello Valerie, Steve, sw-list members
> I read this message several times. Wow - what an accomplishment.
> It is difficult for me to express my feelings of respect, gratitude
> and
> pride. You change the world. You offer brilliant tools to bridge the
> worlds
> of the hearing and Deaf. You offer new options to study and to
> compare all
> SL of the world. I understand that providing a tool that allows
> writing down
> SL for every day use as well as for detailed scientific studies will
> support
> all of us who believe in bilingual education. I am using your
> invention with
> various software - Programs almost for 10 years now.

Val:
I know! You are soooo skilled with SignWriter DOS, Stefan! One of the
best in the world. And the television program in Germany was so
terrific, showing how you use SignWriter DOS with your Deaf
students...we must try to get permission to show people that wonderful
program...

So you have been using SignWriting for 10 years? A whole decade!

THANK YOU for your large contributions...

> Reading your message I remembered your letter to the list back in
> 1997. (see
> attached message) Isn't it amazing that it took only almost 10 years
> to make
> these dreams and visions come true?

Ha! It is all a matter of our perspective. We live in a society that
wants to have "instant gratification". We assume that a whole writing
system can be developed and completed and accepted in a decade...but
actually historically it usually takes centuries for writing systems
to get used on a broad scale like that...so actually, if you compare
it to centuries, then 10 years or 35 years is really not that long a
time...smile...

But that is fun you found that old message from 1997! I enjoyed
reading it below!

Actually, from a technology point of view, we still do not have a
SignWriting Chat Room that is "live" yet...but we can write to each
other in SignWriting through SignMail...so the technology part of this
is not really the same as the writing system itself...the ISWA is the
writing system's symbols...and Steve has created the online and
offline software: SignPuddle...which is absolutely terrific...that is
where we have SignMail...but not a Chat Room yet...which was described
in 1997 below...smile..

I prefer the PersonalPuddle myself anyway...I don't think we need a
Chat Room. But we have needed a way to use SignPuddle on our computer
desktop, and that is what the PocketPuddle and the PersonalPuddle give
us...

PersonalPuddle
http://www.SignWriting.org

> There have been so many inspiring people participated in the long
> run. From
> my point of view it is your way to accept anybody coming to the SW-
> community
> just as he/she is. You invite us to share our ideas, questions,
> doubts and
> you never looked down on anybody if the same question has been asked
> again
> and again.

Thanks for saying this. Yes...you are correct that it is because of
our conversations through the SignWriting List, and discussing these
issues, that we have learned together...It is true that I am open to
everyone's ideas and suggestions...and thank you everyone for your
feedback!

> Thinking about this I ask myself how many professional and personal
> skills
> are needed to get such an idea from the ground. Still today there are
> probably more then 20 (smile) SL- linguists who do not understand
> what a
> major change has happened. I am convinced that further scientific
> investigations will proof that your contribution became a landmark
> in the
> history of modern SL research that your invention will be known as the
> Copernican Revolution in this field.

This is a great honor, Stefan. Thank you for this.

I know that most of the world does not realize yet...that is true. But
it probably took the Copernican Revolution some time before it got
established too...

So I plan to live to 120 years old ;-))

That means that I am barely half way through with my life (big grin ;-)

And I assume you and everyone who uses SignWriting will live strong
and good lives too...smile...

So now that we have the ISWA 2008 established, and we have Steve's
wonderful software, now we can move forward to publish a whole bunch
of SignWriting Literature and teaching materials in different sign
languages. In time there will be a Wikipedia, I hope, in ASL too...so
Steve is still working on that technical development software, called
the SignWriting  MediaWiki Plugin. Thank you, Steve!

> Keep up your brilliant work. Keep up your generosity and friendship
> to share
> with us, what you have developed. All I can say is thank you for
> everything
> you donate to us.

You are very welcome. My greatest pleasure indeed!

> Most of us are not able to understand anything that is behind this
> complicated programming. So thanks to Richard Gleaves and Steve
> Slevinski
> and other brilliant software experts we are able to share, to write,
> preserve what is to be expressed in SL directly in SignWriting.

Yes. I agree. Many thanks for the software developers around the world!

And your PocketPuddle can be updated to the new ISWA symbols by the
way...

Thank you, Steve, for making this possible -

> Hopefully in ten years from now I should be able to write all this
> in ASL --
> smile.

You already write beautifully...

But I do hope that in another decade there are real German Sign
Language and American Sign Language published books written in
SignWriting...real literature on the library shelves...of world
literature etc...written in SignWriting...we need lots of reading
material now...lots of published literature that classrooms will have
plenty of reading material to learn SignWriting quickly...that is the
only way it will spread in the schools...if the teachers can have lots
of literature immediately...

> And Steve I would like to include you: “Let's all congratulate
> Valerie and
> Steve on their amazing work.  This is a historic day and I'm glad I
> was a
> contemporary witness.
>
> Have a wonderful day and take care - we need you!
> All good wishes -
> Stefan ;-)

Thank you once again, Stefan!!

Val ;-)