history query

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 31 02:41:40 UTC 2008

There is also some discussion of early Deaf history in Dr. Paddy
Ladd's book "Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood". His
information seems to be earlier than most sources I've seen so far. As
I recall, he mentioned that prior to the 1880's and oralism, deaf
literacy was actually much higher quality than it is today. He
attributes that largely to the fact that sign languages were much more
respected and accepted than they have been after the advent of oralism
and the banning of sign languages. That would make a great deal of
sense to me.

Thanks,

Stuart