Sign Writing Linguistics Conference

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 1 02:00:39 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
August 31, 2008

Hello Charles, Maria, and Everyone -

Oh yes...I would be happy to work with you on preparing a web-based
conference, and I would be glad to learn how to use Webcast equipment.
That would be best for me personally in many ways, and even though a
web-based conference might cost us some money, it could actually save
us all money by cutting down on traveling costs, hotel costs and so
forth...so Charles, I would be very happy to work with you on this new
idea...

Right now I am having group conversations free on my computer with
Skype. The other day I was honored with a Skype call from a group of
Deaf people and Ron Dettloff, from the Deaf Church in Michigan. It was
on a Sunday, and I assume it was after their church service, and they
all gathered around the computer in the church office, and called me
on Skype...I met around 5 Deaf people...they all introduced
themselves, asked me if I was Deaf or hearing, and we discussed the
differences between Skype and videophones...all in all I really
enjoyed meeting the group and felt really warm afterwards...it was as
if I had traveled to Michigan to meet them all - a wonderful
experience! Thanks to all who call me on Skype!

And thanks too, to Andre in French-Canada, and others, who have called
me on videophones...That too is a wonderful experience. It feels as if
people are sitting right in your living room...quite amazing...

So taking that one step further, obviously video conferencing and web
conferencing can be a successful way of communicating and since we
already have SignWriting web sites and our own server, there is no
reason why we can't take that one step further and have a call for
papers online, related to one topic, such as SignWriting and
Linguistics...

I would suggest doing our first SignWriting Web Conference in
2009...perhaps Fall, 2009?

This Fall, in 2008, Steve and I are finishing our new software and
finishing releasing the official ISWA, plus providing the backup
documentation necessary to make sure everyone can learn the new
software and symbols with good instruction materials. We also need to
finish our Children's stories, such as Snow White and Mother Goose
Rhymes, and the writing of Deaf History articles which Charles is
writing....

By that time, it will be January 2009, and a new year will be before
us...

Val ;-)