Group 1 handshape symbol differentiation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 29 02:52:29 UTC 2008

>> On Sep 28, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
>>>

>>>  This hand would be palm up, occurring in the lower portion of my
>>> sign space, the way I might sign "sometimes"
>>>
>>>  ?

-------------

Attached is the way I personally would write SOMETIMES...of course
there are other ways to write it too...

Not all rotations are used in writing signs in ASL, but they are all
available to you, if they are needed.

The fingers pointing directly side is quite rare, you are right.
Especially with the palm up! I cannot think of a sign with that
handshape...pointing side....but it is used in writing role shifting,
when you are signing to someone who is standing on one side of the
room...

There are more signs that point forward, or to the diagonal...like
HAPPEN or COME...