facial expressions

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Apr 1 16:34:48 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
April 1, 2009

Hello Honza and everyone -
The basic simple Eyebrows Up and Down are used the most, for specific
grammatical elements in sign languages. For example a question
sentence with Eyebrows Up can change to Down under certain
circumstances...I could show you some examples in ASL but I suspect
you already know about the basic eyebrows up and down...

The others, that combine Down or Up with "Inside or Outside" are used
mostly in writing storytelling, or even mime or gesture...

Some people have more expressive eyebrows than others, where the
entire eyebrow does not go up, but only the inside part of the eyebrow
goes up while the half remains straight...it is hard to reproduce this
when you try, but when you are telling a story it happens
automatically...I oftentimes call the Up & Inside Eyebrows "Dreamy
Eyebrows"...

In storytelling, in ASL, we have been writing "Dreamy Eyebrows" when
we say "Once Upon A Time" (or something equivalent to that)...or
"Wandering through the forest..."...Look at the eyebrows in this
Goldilocks Level 3 video:

http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=375

Here is the writing of that attached...so it is a matter of "feeling"
the eyebrows are a little different than the normal up and
down...there is more of a forehead wrinkle involved...and the Outside
ones are used the least out of all of them...