How many symbols do we need, when we write in SignWriting?

Tue Aug 18 14:04:37 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 18, 2009

----

> So I guess my question is really, how am I to discuss the numbers with
> people? If there are 35,000 symbols, surely one language does not
> need all
> these - maybe they could be grouped into a smaller class of symbols?
>
> In the IPA there are a total of 107 distinct letters (52 diacritics,
> and
> four prosody marks) - that's a great deal less - to write all the
> spoken
> langauges in the world.
>
> thanks
> Maria

--------

Hello Everyone, and Maria!

I have asked Maria's permission to discuss this question on the List,
because I think it may be of interest to some of the members of the
SignWriting List too. Maria is writing her dissertation on SignWriting
and Maltese Sign Language, and Maria asked me the question:

  "How many symbols do we need, when we write in SignWriting?"...

It is important to realize that we do NOT write with 35,000
symbols...much fewer symbols than that!

So I will explain much better in the next message...it may take me an
hour or so, but the answer is coming...

Thank you for your question, Maria!

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help