SignWriting shorthand?

Wed Aug 19 16:14:37 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 19, 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Alex Joseph Martini wrote:
> My name is Alex, I've just joined the mailing list recently.  On the
> website, I see a couple passing references to a shorthand version of
> SignWriting, but nothing of any length.  Are there any resources for
> learning the shorthand version?
>
> I'm taking an ASL class this fall, and I'm looking forward to using
> SignWriting for studying vocabulary and taking notes, but it does take
> some time to write.  For normal English, I'm a pretty competent Gregg
> Shorthand writer, so I thought I would try to learn a shorthand system
> for SignWriting as well.

-------

Hello Alex!
Pleasure to meet you. Welcome to the SignWriting List!

If you are new to SignWriting and the List, I can imagine that our
recent messages must have really sounded complicated, talking about
thousands of symbols...smile...but actually the writing system is read
faster because of the visual nature of the symbols.

And as Stefan said, learning to write is not quite as easy as learning
to read, but over the years we all have learned different techniques
in writing quickly by hand.

Back in the 1980's I developed a SignWriting Shorthand system that was
used for personal notetaking very fast - at the speed of watching an
interpreter sign in class...and that SignWriting Shorthand system from
the 1980's, could be compared a little, to Gregg Shorthand or Pittman
Shorthand, in that it's goal was similar...to record what is being
signed quickly and then transcribing the notes back into SignWriting
Handwriting (like hand-printing block letters in English) so other
people can read your notes. So your skills in Gregg Shorthand
certainly would be a plus for you, if there is a day that you really
wanted to get into the different world of SignWriting stenography...

SignWriting evolved and changed for the better over the years, and the
old SignWriting Shorthand system was based on the old way of writing
SignWriting back in the 1980's, so I am continually being asked to
PLEASE scan in the old SW Shorthand textbook so others can learn to
use it as a daily handwriting, which is not the same as a shorthand
system...and of course I want to do that...I have the old book sitting
right here on my desk...but it is over 200 pages to scan and I am
always running behind on several projects (it is an old personality
pattern that I am trying to break but never succeed with! ;-)

But please know I am really glad you are interested in SignWriting
Shorthand.

Here is my suggestion. Did you know that we do have writing techniques
documented for writing SignWriting Handwriting? That is not the
Shorthand, but is the way we hand-print, or hand-write the official
SignWriting symbol characters...several years ago I started teaching a
course here on the List in SignWriting Handwriting, and it was
wonderful...I created some lessons and people were really
great...giving me feedback and doing their "homework assignments (big
grin)...so you could start there, and take the course as far as we
got...it is all posted on the web, including their homework! You will
see people did a good job!

So go to:

SignWriting Handwriting Directory
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/

Go to:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/handwriting/

Take Lessons 1...Click on the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 on that web page
and read everything and number 4 is the place to download the homework
assignment...