faces vertical or horizontal and facial expressions that 'hold'

Sun Dec 6 15:04:46 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
December 6, 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
> A related issue is how to represent a facial expression that
> encompasses several signs.  Of course, it can be written over each
> sign separately, but it seems a waste of time and a partial
> misrepresentation, almost as if the facial expression stops and
> starts.  I think I have asked this question before but can't recall
> the answer.  It seems like it would be useful to have some sort of
> punctuation or symbol that shows a portion of the signing 'holds'
> while other parts move on, like a bracket of some kind.  Is there
> such a thing that I haven't learned about yet?

Yes, Natasha, it is called the Unit Connecting Line...it is used by
some researchers to show the influence of one facial expression over a
series of signs that follow. It is used for example in documents from
Spain. I personally do not write with it for daily use, because I feel
it looks more like a notation system, rather than a writing system,
which is different. When reading the Unit Connecting Line, the reader
has to refer "back" to where the Unit Connecting Line begins, and when
that happens, it interrupts the flow of reading, when reading a novel,
etc....so for simple writing, I would not choose it, but on the other
hand, other people disagree with me! It is very useful for researchers
and has been used in documents around the world.

It is in the Dynamics section of the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook.

Go to:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/172%20Dynamics.html