Nominal vs Cardinal numbers in ASL

Mon Feb 9 02:07:46 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
February 8, 2009

This is great information, Cherie. Just what I wanted and needed to
know...I always instinctively felt that the ASL page numbers needed to
have the palm out away from the chest in the first five numbers, just
as Adam suggested too, but because I got corrected by an ASL signer,
who assumed that i didn't realize that the numbers are supposed to
have the palm to the chest, I started to worry that I just didn't
know...so your information below would be new to a lot of
people...even native ASL signers...and part of the reason is because
page numbers in written ASL is such a new idea that most people never
really thought about it before...so I will keep the palm out...and I
will keep your information to refer to...

And Adam, yes, it does seem that Cherie is saying that the terminology
is different than yours in your ASL definitions in the ASL Dictionary
Puddle, so maybe you can talk about the different terms...just look up
"one" or "1" in the ASL Dictionary Puddle to see Adam's definitions...

Thanks once again...

Val ;-)