Adam's Suggested Handshape is Cursive

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 1 21:27:15 UTC 2009

Hi Sandy!
Just want you to know I understand what you are saying and I
agree...to really be able to read signs later, some signs truly do
need palm facing, and that is why the Shorthand, which does not show
any palm facing, had to be transcribed later, into regular handwriting
or printing, because even the writer could not remember what they
wrote, if that transcription process did not take place...that is why
although I use the Shorthand for my own personal notes, they are not
notes that I am keeping for publications...if I want to really write
something for publication then I use software or very neat
Handprinting...so each system has its drawbacks and its positives...

So go ahead and write personal handwriting the best way that is good
for you...

in 2009 my goal is to create a long list of edited and readable,
published and archived SignWriting Literature...so that teachers and
students have "reading materials"...lots of it...novels, short
stories, educational articles, textbooks...everything we can think of
to give people something to read...with lots of reading materials,
schools would have an easier time using SignWriting...obviously
Handwriting is not a part of that project...

Writing is harder than reading, but usually reading a language comes
first, before advanced writing can occur anyway, so I feel laying the
groundwork for lots of reading materials will build towards the day
that there will be better writers...

So thanks for this discussion - it has been very interesting!

Val ;-)

-------