Question about tilting or rocking

Thu Jul 9 16:43:15 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 9, 2009

Ha!

Bending is different than tilting or rocking...that has been our
terminology...bending side for example means stretching the muscles on
the side of your body as you are bending side...that is a true
bend...but the tilting symbols, which really represent the shifting of
weight side to side, are not stretching the muscles and actually
bending...smile...

Isn't it funny how terminology is so important?...if you were here
sitting in my office I could show you and that would make it much
easier...

The Tilting Symbols, near the shoulder line, are showing the upper
body from the waist up moving as a unit slightly to one side or the
other...If you are sitting down in a chair, from your waist, move the
shoulders and head over to the right a little (the upper body from the
waist up), without moving the hips, and not stretching or bending
anything...just a tiny shift from the rib cage over to one side or the
other...like mime artists separate one part of the body to move just
that part of the body...the symbols near the shoulders are
representing a shifting of position to the side from the upper half of
the spine, without stretching or bending...just shifting a little
while still remaining straight up and down...

If the Shoulder Line is written straight, then the movement is keeping
the shoulders straight while the weight shift occurs, but if the
shoulders are written at an angle, then there is also some bending
happening at the same time that the shift of weight is occuring...

Let me try to create a diagram...

Val ;-)