Handshapes and systematic discussion

Tue Jun 2 14:37:16 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
June 2, 2009

Thank you, Steve and Charles, for your two messages!!

Yes, SignWriting is a flexible and evolving, living, breathing writing
system, and no writing system that is used around the world is fixed
in stone...none of them are...

Computer programs and typewriters require a set of symbols to type
with, and so during the software or typewriter development process,
the developers have no choice but to choose a specific set of symbols
to function in the technology...

But that is only for those machines or devices...meanwhile language
and writing systems, on a daily basis, are always changing around the
world...and it is not just SignWriting...it is true for all writing
systems that are really used...

So Adam, Steve and I are working together now, to document and use the
specific symbols that we put together for the current software, called
the ISWA 2008...that's all...

Within the symbols in the ISWA 2008 we have every flop and rotation
you need to write with..so it is flexible...you have complete freedom
to write as you wish, and have all the choices..just scroll down to
find the flop of the symbol you wish to use...or use the Mirror Key to
flop the symbol into the position you need...

Val ;-)