Sign Puddle on Mobile Phones

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Mon Mar 2 19:12:16 UTC 2009

Valerie,
My apologies, I almost forgot to answer your question in your email.
You asked if the Sidekick is a hand-held device.  Yes it is.  At one
time it was about the only cell device that the deaf used.  Many
continue to use them as they are excellent phones for communication -
having a superb keyboard and access to instant messages and texting
through a data-only plan.   The significant draw-back, though, is they
are only available on T-Mobile.

At my monthly coffee socials, students from the local colleges will show
up to fulfill contact hours needed for their sign language classes.  I'm
often mentioning SignWriting.  They almost always have never heard of
it, despite my mentioning it for years now.  Seems the message never
gets back to the teachers or they ignore it.   I keep trying and would
like to impress them with Signpuddle's dictionary lookup feature -
making it applicable to their studies.   However, as Signpuddle doesn't
fully work on the Sidekick, it's an exercise in futility.

I'd be curious if other devices have the same problem.  Are people with
Blackberry phones able to use Signpuddle?

Bill