Wavy Motion options...

Thu Mar 12 16:56:53 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
March 12, 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Jonathan wrote:
>  Thanks for these explanations.  I didn't realize that the wrist
> line could be used with the wavy arrow and that it anchored the
> movement. Though I knew that the other write arrows anchored the
> movement.  I like the way you explained it.  It seems so new to me
> and yet makes sense.  Would it be able to add more arrows for the
> movement? Jonathan

Hello Jonathan and Everyone -
Thank you for your messages...Great to hear from you again. And
congratulations and thank you for your hard work on new software
development.

I have had several other people write to me with great interest in the
wavy motions from the wrist. First, I want to thank Nancy Romero, who
has been working with both DanceWriting and SignWriting since 1975.
Nancy is a dancer and also an interpreter in ASL. In recent years,
Nancy has been translating the Gospel According to John in American
Sign Language. Nancy and Lucinda O'Grady Batch have been editing the
huge document with 21 chapters, and we hope that in the summer of 2009
we will have the publication ready for printing...let us cross our
fingers!!

Nancy writes SignWriting in an excellent and very simple style, which
I really like, and it definitely has had influence on me lately. For
example, Nancy has taken away basic Touch stars, if they are single
ones...for example the sign for HOUSE touches, but if you write it
clearly, showing that the handshapes are touching because the
handshapes themselves are close to each other, the single Touch star
isn't necessary...and that simplifies the writing...obviously if there
is a double-touch, that is necessary to write because that is a real
movement, but single touches can be eliminated if you write the
Position of Contact clearly: