Namibia handshape construction

Sun May 31 13:57:41 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
May 31, 2009

Hello Stefan and Everyone!
Thank you for this question. And your photos and writings are always
so beautiful! Congrats on all you are doing, Stefan....

Regarding the handshape in SignWriting...

The photo of your hand is different than the writing of the handshape
you are showing in the SignWriting example you have attached...The
thumb is to the side in your photo...not forward...

So basing it on the photo with the thumb to the side, we have that
handshape already in the ISWA....I know you will be creating TrueType
fonts, and that is great...but I am happy it is in the ISWA too, so I
can show you what I mean...please see my attached screen capture...the
handshape is in Group 9...the thumb to the side needs the thumb line
on the other side of the rectangle base from the index finger, because
when the thumb line is on the same side as the bent Index finger, that
would show that the thumb and the index finger are relating to each
other and it means that the thumb line is forward pointing in the same
direction as the Index finger...So if you want the thumb to look like
it is pointing in another direction other than the index finger, you
need the thumb line on the other side of the rectangle base of the
hand...please see my attached diagram: