common criticisms of signwriting?

Thu Nov 5 21:50:57 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
November 5, 2009

Hello Erika!
Thanks for this question. The controversial nature of all new ideas
can be puzzling sometimes, but I think it is a part of human nature to
be skeptical of anything we do not have familiarity with...

I actually do not think that comments from people who do not know
SignWriting should cause too much concern...it is only natural that
certain reactions happen...like "it looks like Chinese"....

You are right that people do say that it looks like
hieroglyphics...but i see that as a positive thing, although I try to
explain why it is not hieroglyphics from a technical point of view and
most of them immediately say that they didn't realize that SignWriting
wrote body movement...most people compare it to Chinese very fast, but
that is only because it is written down in vertical columns and
because they see visual clusters of symbols in both writing systems,
but when I point out that SignWriting is not writing concepts, but
instead we are writing body parts moving in space, and the people who
know each sign language have to attach to those movements, the
meanings that go with them in their specific language, where in
Chinese a person who speaks a rare dialect far away, can still write
concepts in Chinese, and there is no connection in their writing, to
how they pronounce their words...therefore SignWriting is alphabetical
and not logographic...but all that conversation is too complex for
most people...most people say something like it looks like Chinese or
heiroglyphics only in passing...but as soon as they sit down for five
minutes and learn the dark and light palm facing and a few movement
symbols, they realize it is different...

I am printing books on my home computer right now...the first 7
chapters of the Gospel According to John in ASL are being printed and
bound with laminated covers...I am doing them all myself in two
sizes...big book size and a half-size that is more like the size of
Bibles, and I am sending copies to the Vatican for a conference on
November 19th. I have already sent copies to Malta to Marie and Maria
to take with them to the Vatican for the conference. Once I am done
printing, I will be happy to send a few of you some copies of the
book. It will also be available for download and for sale shortly on
the web and I will announce this when it is ready -

Hope others will answer Erika's question -

Thank you Erika!

Val ;-)

--------