Amazing report from Malawi!

Sun Nov 15 22:14:18 UTC 2009

From: "Carol Nussbaumer" <carol at nussbaumers.net>
Date: November 15, 2009 12:06:02 PM PST
To: <Sutton at SignWriting.org>
Subject: Pocket Puddle Thanks

Dear Valerie,
Thanks for the e-mail and Pocket Puddle update!  I may not get a
chance to
work with it for a while but I'm glad to have it.  We had a successful
trip
to Malawi --- back about 2 weeks and almost over jet lag.  I took Pocket
Puddle and SW to the deaf school; we didn't have as much time to work
on it
as I had hoped, but did get it introduced.  The teacher in charge of
computer lab has been able to install it on the school system.  Many
thanks
for it and for the books you donated.  I am attaching a couple of
pictures
of school for you -- one is the staff working on Sign Writing in the
library/staff room.  The man at the end of the table is Mr. Macleod
Hara,
headmaster at school and a good friend.  The other picture is Standard 3
with their copy of Goldilocks.  It took about 10 seconds for them to
figure
out the sign system....!  Standard 8 (our oldest group) took around 5
minutes to figure out how to write sign and had a blast developing some
Chitumbuka sign.  It was fun watching them go back and forth about which
piece of each sign was exactly right until all 10 of them were happy!
Even
on my tiny netbook screen it worked pretty well.  I'm hopeful that
this is a
start toward getting sign in Malawi "tied down" instead of morphing
every
few days.
Thanks again,
Carol Nussbaumer