common criticisms of signwriting?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 21 11:28:31 UTC 2009

The structural method of making SignWriting keyboard input is fascinating, as it shows an attention to detail on how to make a keyboarded system viable.  Building on the diacritic model of Roman character diacritics to build out a character is good, one just needs to add the rotation and placement feature that was part of the old SignWriter program, as well as have an option of horizontal or vertical writing.  Doing that would take the features of both Roman character typesetting and Chinese character placement, which would use techniques that already exist in code forms, which SignWriting typists have had to discover by trial and error.

Perhaps something more akin to Korean writing, which assembles a word in many ways as SignWriting does a glyph, and then places them vertically down the page.  If the coding for Korean exists then lessons could be learned from the verbal orthographic world in terms of keyboard input.

I did read your extensive article Sandy, it just seemed to make assumptions that "the hearies already do it right" which needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Charles

________________________________
From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Sat, November 21, 2009 6:18:34 AM
Subject: RE: [sw-l] common criticisms of signwriting?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 14:44 -0700, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
> Take a look at Sandy's website http://bsltext.org/ and go to the page
> called "articles" and follow the link to "unicode diacritics for
> signwriting".  I think that might be what Sandy is getting at...  Just
> a way to adapt current technology to the existing idea of SignWriting.
>
> Natasha Escalada-Westland, M.Ed. (D/HH), Certified Interpreter - NIC

Natasha,

I'm very pleased to see that this has been noticed!

I tried to keep this very short, with the intention of adding more about
other aspects of implementing SignWriting in unicode in further short
articles.

Lack of interest on the SignWriting List made me think that there wasn't
much interest, however, so I didn't write further articles.

I could add more if anybody wanted to know.

Sandy

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help