common criticisms of signwriting?

Sat Nov 21 14:14:29 UTC 2009

Hi Sandy,

We can always use subset of the ISWA.  Sometimes greater detail is
needed; other times it is not.  I think the actual subset of each
language will be determined by what's used over the coming years by the
people who write their own language.

Currently, the SignWriting Image Server supports subsets.  So instead of
the SymbolPalette being filled with the entire ISWA, only a
predetermined subset will show.  I was planning on created a few subsets
from the current SignPuddle data just to see what they'd look like.

Unicode is no problem.  Every sign and sign text in SignPuddle can be
represented by a Unicode string using the Plane 4 solution.

If you look at the bottom of section 3 of the SignWriting Image Server
document, you'll find a subsection about Unicode integration and a
Unicode string for "hello world" in ASL.
http://signbank.org/swis/#BSW

Other Unicode solutions are possible, but are still theoretical.  Mine
used the ISWA with coordinate placement.

I'd be interested in more detail about your Unicode ideas.

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help