SignWriting on Bing - Improvements to Ordering Signs

Trevor Jenkins bslwannabe at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 25 14:00:52 UTC 2009

Hi Charles,

I think the exact opposite! It is not that SignWriting (or HamNoSys or
Stokoe) needs to accommodate Bing, Google, Wolfram Alpha or so later search
engine. Instead the search engines need to change to accommodate SignWriting
(and everyother non-Latinate script). We should not change the order in
which signs are transcribed -- we do not alter the order of written lexemes
so that search engines can retrieve web pages or emails. What we do need is
for the present and all future search engines to be capable of searching on
inflected sign forms (for example using the Stokoe classification of
handshape, orientation, location, movement, repetition). It is us as users
who impose order on lexems whether signs or words.

We could be consistent in the way that we write each SignWriting symbol in
the same way that there is a convention for how Stokoe is written generally
following.*location, handshape, movement, orientation, repetition *and *
alterations* as we describe the full sign.

The ISWA will prove sufficent for Bing, Google, Alpha, Yahoo!, etc to
retrieve on because it is part of Unicode. But let's not make their lives
easier at the expense of making our own more difficult. We have better
things to do than help Microsoft, Google, Wolfram or Yahoo! fleece us.