Ordering Signs

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 26 07:08:37 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Given that SignWriting is a recent invention and, given that thought has
been given by the creators of the scripts to collation, there can be and
there is a sorting order that is defined on the level of the script. I have
learned about its existence in the past but the precise details escape me. I
am sure that either Steve or Valerie will be able to fill us in after their
thanksgiving celebration.
Thanks,
      Gerard

2009/11/26 Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com>

> I would agree that they don't HAVE to be, particularly with signed
> languages that don't have the same character set, but I feel that there
> ought to be a universal ordering system that has some logic to it (straight,
> curved, bent, crossed) that would be a natural progression through the
> handshapes, ditto with lines and curves, facial expressions, etc.  It's the
> whole corpus that would be in order, so that if a handshape is used, one
> knows where it is, if it is not, it is skipped.  English and Spanish both
> use the Roman alphabet, and though English does not have a ch, an ll, there
> is an order that can be compared sound for sound.
>
> Charles
>
> ------------------------------

>>> 2) Left hand (by hand group, sub-hand group, orientation, rotation)
>>> 3) Right hand contact (touch, grasp, brush, rub, in-between)
>>> 4) Left hand contact (touch, grasp, brush, rub, in-between)
>>> 5) Right hand location (include face or body) (location on the face,
>>> location on the body)
>>> 6) Left hand location (include face or body) (location on the face,
>>> location on the body)
>>> 7) Right hand movement (straight, curved, compound)
>>> 8) Left hand movement (straight, curved, compound)
>>> 9) Right hand speed (prosody) (slow, fast, smooth) There are signs in
>>> LIBRAS where the only difference is the speed of the sign)
>>> 10) Left hand speed (prosody) (slow, fast, smooth)
>>> 11) Facial expression (I have no idea how to order facial expressions)