Happy Birthday, Stefan!;-)

Sat Oct 3 07:31:00 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
October 3, 2009

Dear Stefan, and
SignWriting List Members!

Over the years, Stefan has always been so kind to me, to remember my
birthday. Half the time, I would not even remember my own birthday,
but Stefan always remembered...Thank you for your friendship, Stefan.

Well this year I decided it was high time that I remember Stefan's
birthday!

It is my memory that it is October 3rd...today?...I hope I remembered
that correctly?

It is the same day that Germany celebrates its Unification Day (Tag
der Deutschen Einheit).  This day back in 1990 brought a happy and a
very significant event on the world political scene. The symbol of the
Cold War - the Berlin Wall - was torn down, and East Germans could
freely face the world.

Stefan's work is also a part of SignWriting history ... His
development of Mundbildschrift (Woehrmann's SpeechWriting), for
writing the way the mouth looks while speaking, has been quite
successful in teaching speech and language to his Deaf students at the
Osnabruck School for the Deaf. Stefan's textbook, the SignWriting
Handbook, is purchased in our SignWriting Shop and there are orders
from around the world for his book...For example, just last week, the
Green Technical BookStore in Yokohama, Japan, ordered a copy!

So THANK YOU, Stefan, for your important work with SignWriting and
SpeechWriting...You have contributed to my life, and to our
SignWriting List members lives too, by giving so warmly of your time,
giving us all feedback on writing and caring so much about writing
signs properly with SignWriting...And your SignWriting animation and
SignWriting art are simply magical!

I think your Deaf students are lucky to have such a positive teacher
who really cares...

I am preparing a web posting of your recent meeting and work together
with Eyasu Tamene from Ethiopia...that is coming shortly...I will post
a message to the List about it in the next few days.

But right now, I want to wish you a very happy birthday. Thank you for
everything you do!

My attached birthday card is not nearly as magnificent as your cards
that are created with your digital camera, but here is my attempt to
say "Happy Birthday Stefan!"

I hope you have a wonderful day and celebrate this day, with the rest
of Germany!! ;-)

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages