AW: [sw-l] Fwd: [DEAF] Without ASL, English is IMPOSSIBLE!

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 12 19:25:50 UTC 2009

Here is the translation of the YouTube "ZURFER: Without ASL, English
is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!"

--Adam

"Without ASL, English is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!"

Hello, how is everyone doing? Good.

Let me tell you a little about myself first. My names is James
Kittell. I am the owner of ASLMedia. And as you may or not know,
ASLMedia runs the ASLExpo.

"ASLE"

I know that you might be thinking what ASLE stands for. ASLE means ASL
towards English. In response to SEE (Signing Exact English), we have
created ASLE. But what exactly is ASLE you ask? It is signing in ASL
to fit with English. We purpose the use of ASLE to deaf children in
schools as well as deaf people outside of the school because of the
struggles with English competency in writing. We will explain the
principles of basic English. By doing so, the deaf individual will
have a clear understanding of English. For example, when a teacher is
teaching the sentence "A ball is rolling," most deaf individuals will
still struggle with that simple sentence even with 18 years of
schooling. This struggle will continue the rest of most of these deaf
individuals' lives.

We here at ASLMedia have researched how to improve this situation. One
thing that we noticed was that deaf people in general are very skilled
in manual labor such as mechanics or sewing. When we looked into why
this is the case, we found that deaf people learned these trades by
someone visually showing and explaining how to perform the tasks. The
visual component is a very important aspect of this process. But when
teaching English, too often the teachers will write the sentence on
the board and sign in an MCE such as SEE, Total Communication, PSE, or
even cued speech to explain the sentence. The deaf student is left to
confusion as to what the meaning of the sentence, "A ball is rolling."
This is because there is no visual component to the explanation during
any of the 18 years of schooling, or any other time for that matter.
When you see what ASLE is, you will wished that you were taught this
back in elementary.

In schools across the nation today, most refuse to use ASL in their
instructions. They feel that the use of an MCE is far superior, but
this leaves most deaf people incompetent in reading and writing
English. Don't think that it is their fault because it is not. The
teachers are left without proper resources on how to teach English
through ASL to help the deaf student understand the basics while they
are still in elementary school. If they did, we wouldn't see this
epidemic that we have of with the deaf and English.

Now, ASLE was supposed to be unveiled at the ASLExpo, but we were
forced to hold off due to the lack of sponsors. So I will demonstrate
ASLE to you here. It won't take that long. After 30 seconds at the
most, you (as the deaf individual) will be saying to yourself that
this isn't hard at all. You will finally feel that you can build up to
reading anything in English. I will give your a taste in this Vlog
now, but I will continue to post most in the future. In exchange, I
would like for you to call for sponsors and help ASLE be presented at
the future ASLExpo to get the word out there to deaf people, so that
they can finally realize that they can develop their English literacy
skill within a few short months. The way that ASLE will do this is
with a DVD that will teach basic English skills in very little time at
all. That time can be within the 1 to 3 month range very easily
depending on the motivation. So, are you ready?

Here is a ball to demonstrate the sentence "A ball is rolling." Now
the sentence says "is" and"-ing". (Rolls ball back and forth a couple
times.) When the ball is rolling, the action is suffixed with -ing. It
is always when something is in the process of moving that the affix -
ing is used. Always!

This and that. What is the difference between the two? (Points to a
book) Here is a book that is close to me. When referring to it, we use
"this". (Pushes book away) When it is away from me, we use "that".
(Brings book back) When the book is close like so, the sentence "This
is my book," uses the word "this". (Pushes book away) When the book is
far, or taken away, "That is my book," uses "that". Get it?

Now I will explain the difference between these and those. Remember
how this and that was with only one book. Now I have here more than
one book. (Brings a stack of three books into view) When the books are
close, we use the word "these" to say, "These are my books." (Pushes
books away) When far away, we use "those" for the sentence, "Those are
my books." So when someone takes your books and you say, "those are my
books," you use the word "those". So "these" is for things close, and
"those" is for things far. Remember that  "these" and "those" are only
used with multiple things, at least two.

Many and much. What is the difference between "many" and "much"?
Notice when I sign "many" that I am throwing my fingers open as if to
count. But when I sign "much", I am only showing the overall size of
the unit. So when using "many", it means that you can count the
objects. But when using "much" it is impossible to count. For example,
when there are many cars, you could count each car individually but
don't for the sake of time. The same could be said with children,
"many children". If I were to ask you, "how many children were there?"
you could count and answer that there were a specific number such as
400 children. Now with "much", let's say that we had too much milk. We
wouldn't be able to grab a microscope and count each particle of milk
since it would be well into the millions range. Or let's say we went
to the beach and tried to count all the sand particles. It would be
impossible to answer the question of how many sand particles because
there are just too many, so the question would have to be how much
sand. The same could be said with the water in the ocean. Air is in
the same category. You wouldn't be able to grab a microscope and count
till the end of time. So air, water, sand, sugar, honey, coffee, and
milk are used with "much". So, "many" is when you could count
everything, but don't just to be quick. "much" is when there would be
no way that you could count everything.

Well, you have just seen 4 different lessons. They weren't that long
at all. You have seen ASLE. I didn't use SEE, speech (oral), Total
Communication, or PSE. I used ASL to teach English. I am sure that you
were able to understand everything very clearly. I will be posting
more Vlog with lessons teaching English like these. They are all very
fast and simple, and in exchange I am asking for your help in getting
sponsors so that we can give DVDs out at the next ASLExpo. There are 3
DVDs that have 78 lessons, but the total play time is not 78 hours. It
is only 4 1/2 hours! Each lesson is very short. You will be able to
play through each lesson from beginning to end, and your writing will
greatly improve because you understand basic rules of English and not
rote memorizations.

"Please leave a comment here on YouTube and show this to your friends
and relatives. That you for your support! www.aslexpo.com www.aslmedia.com
"