receptive vs. expressive - history?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 21 03:37:56 UTC 2009

For me, I learned receptive first, so it was literally "write what you see" when you are seeing someone else's hands.  Then when they switched, I considered it an extension.  I just teach "write what you see".  Then receptive is for transcribing something brand new if you don't know the meaning, and then expressive when you have moved it to your own hands.  Expressive has become the standard for the dictionaries and most usage.  Dance writing is still, apparently, receptive.  It took me hours to transcribe video tape because I think to write what someone else is doing, and then reverse it to my hands is the challenge.
Charles

--- On Tue, 10/20/09, MARIA AZZOPARDI <maria.azzopardi at um.edu.mt> wrote:

From: MARIA AZZOPARDI <maria.azzopardi at um.edu.mt>
Subject: [sw-l] receptive vs. expressive - history?
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 5:13 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering what to do with the receptive and expressive view points,
when teaching signwriting.

As teachers of signwriting, would you include this explanation - or would
presenting the two possibilities create a problem that might not be there.

I've found that when I explain how to signwrite the different orientations
I explain the 'expressive viewpt' and never include the receptive view, so
as not to 'teach' them something that I will later have to unteach.

do you find that explaining the expressive view and leaving out the
'receptive' writing, acceptable?

thanks
Maria

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu