receptive vs. expressive - history?

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Oct 22 14:35:55 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
October 22, 2009

Wow, Jonathan...thank you for finding this old message! It is a
perfect explanation as to why we need to teach the Expressive to
students and not confuse them...SignWriting began in 1974, when I was
hired by the University of Copenhagen to write the movements of Deaf
and hearing people on a video. The Deaf people were signing in Danish
Sign Language, and the hearing people were talking to each other in
Danish spoken language, but like all hearing people, they were
gesturing a little, while they were speaking, and their gestures had
nothing to do with any sign language, but the researchers wanted to
show the differences between hearing person's gestures and real sign
language...so you can see that my development of the first SignWriting
was based on looking at a videotape of signers, which meant that it
was natural for me to write in the Receptive...but once Deaf people
started to really use SignWriting as a daily writing system, to write
the SignWriter Newspaper articles in ASL and DSL, from 1981 to 1984,
they gave us the necessary feedback to tell us what was really needed
for a daily writing system...they demanded Expressive, because they
are expressing themselves when they write...as we do in English
too...so the Expressive has been the norm since 1984...that is 25
years of Expressive writing, and a quarter of a century has proven
that Expressive works!

This explanation below is a clear example why switching back and forth
is very confusing for people...

So thanks once again, Jonathan -

Val ;-)

-----